Transitions Home
Transitions FAQs
Preparing for Transitions
Transitions Directions and Accommodations

Preparing for WWU

Although Transitions 2016 has completed, this information is still important and relevant to Transfer students preparing to attend Western. Please review this list and contact the appropriate departments referrenced below if you have questions.

1. Visit Your Countdown to Western Checklist

Your Countdown to Western checklist helps you keep track of your status in important areas such as whether or not transcripts have been received, on-campus housing status, and measles clearance for class registration. After your Transitions reservation has been processed, confirmation information can be accessed via the Countdown to Western website.

To login, you will need your Western ID number (commonly referred to as your “W” number), or User ID, and date of birth. Your "W" number can be found on your admission and confirmation letters. Revisit your Countdown to Western checklist any time to verify your current status.

2.  REQUIRED FOR REGISTRATION: Submit Proof of Measles Immunity

Student Health Center
516 High Street, MS 9132
Bellingham, WA 98225
Phone:  360.650.3400
Fax: 360.650.3883

All new students are required to have two valid measles vaccinations or proof of measles (rubeola) immunity prior to registering for classes.  Options for providing proof and additional information are available from the Student Health Center.

The SHC’s regular hours for SUMMER 2016 are: Monday – Friday 8:30am - 12:00pm & 1:00pm - 4:00pm.

If you need to get an MMR shot or have your blood drawn for a rubeola titer test, please call 360.650.3400 to schedule an appointment. You may FAX your measles records 24/7 to 360.650.3883 or 360.650.4580. If you have any questions, contact the SHC at 360.650.3400 or

IMPORTANT! You will not be allowed to register for classes during Transitions if your measles vaccinations/immunity documentation has not been received prior to your registration appointment.
Western strongly recommends that all students have some form of health insurance and offers a plan especially for students. Detailed information is available at the Student Health Center and online at

3. Activate Your Universal Account

Academic Technology & User Services

As an enrolled student, you will receive a free Universal Account, which provides you with a number of technology resources to enhance your academic experience, including MyWestern e-mail, computer lab access, personal storage on network servers and dial-up internet access.  Official University correspondence (including a preliminary Transfer Equivalency Report (TER) if you have earned college, Advanced Placement (AP), or International Baccalaureate (IB) credit) will be sent to your MyWestern e-mail address so you are encouraged to read your MyWestern e-mail messages regularly.

In order to make a reservation for Transitions and to register for classes, you must have activated your Universal Account in advance.  If you need assistance or if you have forgotten your password, contact Academic Technology User Services Help Desk at 360.650.3333 or online at  Please keep track of your username and password, and bring these with you to campus.  You also will need to know your Social Security Number during the registration process. 

4. Review Your Credit Evaluation and Transfer Equivalency Report

To receive instructions for generating your Transfer Equivalency Report (TER), you must first confirm your enrollment and activate your Universal Account. Instructions for accessing this credit evaluation will be emailed to you. We will make every effort to send this to you prior to your Transitions appointment in July.

Please send us your updated transcripts!  Recommended by June 1: Submit winter quarter transcripts.
Unless you submit updated winter quarter/spring semester transcripts by June 1, your TER will only include the coursework submitted at the time you applied for admission.

Submitting an updated official transcript will:

  • Ensure that you have the most complete reflection of earned credits included in your TER prior to registration at Transitions.
  • Have a favorable effect on your registration priority for winter quarter and beyond since registration appointments for future quarters are based on earned credits.

Required by July 15: Submit updated transcripts
Your official final transcript with your spring term grades is due in the Office of Admissions by July 15.

Your TER will be updated once final transcripts have been received by the Office of Admissions and prior to winter quarter registration. If you are earning your degree, please make sure your degree is posted on your final transcript.

What to bring to Transitions
With nearly 1,000 transfer students entering this fall, we are rarely able to process your spring term grades in time to be included in your initial TER. For this reason, you should bring the following with you to Transitions and whenever meeting with advisors:

  • Updated unofficial transcripts with any additional completed coursework
  • A copy of your Transfer Equivalency Report
  • Proof of registration for any in-progress courses

Having this information will assist you with meeting prerequisites for courses and ensuring that you are not repeating coursework unnecessarily. Please visit the transfer section of the Admissions website for transfer credit guidelines and a list of course equivalencies for in-state courses.

5. Placement Test Opportunities

During Transitions, a Math Placement Test is offered twice (7:30am and 1:30pm) and the Management Information Systems (MIS) 220 Equivalency Exam is offered once (7:30am). Please refer to the schedule section of the website for more information.

For the MIS 220 exam, you will need photo ID; there is no fee for this exam. For the Math Placement Test, you will need photo ID and a #2 pencil; there is a $35 fee that will be billed to the student’s account after the test.

Additionally, a Spanish Placement Test will be offered. If you are planning to take Spanish in fall quarter, you should take the exam. If you are planning to take Spanish, but not in the fall, do not take the exam during Transitions as you will be asked to retake it again later. The Spanish Placement Test is a 30-minute test. There is an anticipated fee for this test; the amount has not yet been confirmed. We will update the Schedule section, FAQ #17 about the SPT and other areas of the website as soon as it is confirmed.

6. Explore Online Academic Advising & Class Registration Tools

Get started with your academic planning by exploring online academic advising and registration tools. If you have any questions about using these resources, please call the Academic Advising Center at 360.650.3850. Please note that your first opportunity to meet in person with an advisor will be at Transitions in July.

  • Online Advising Module:  New students receive 3 online advising modules: one prior to Transitions, one before the start of the quarter, and one during fall quarter, to help support a successful transition to Western. Access and login will be sent to your Western student email (found in your myWestern portal). Look for your first module in early July.
  • Viking Advisor: The Viking Advisor describes Western’s academic requirements and provides information on how to register for classes using Western’s online registration system. A copy of the Viking Advisor will be provided during orientation.
  • WWU's Classfinder: Western's Classfinder displays courses offered by term. You will find information such as the days and times that classes meet, course descriptions, course restrictions, and prerequisites.
  • Prepare to Register for Classes: Before registering for classes, we encourage you to explore academic departments and the University Catalog's programs of study to learn more about the academic majors available at Western.
  • Important Dates and Deadlines: Familiarize yourself with important quarterly dates and deadlines, including registration schedule, tuition payments, refunds and more.

Transfer Student Advising: We encourage you to also visit the Transfer Student Advising website on the Academic Advising Center’s website before registering for classes to review additional resources and information.

To determine the availability of a department at Transitions, contact the department before spring quarter classes end on June 10th. You will need to provide a copy of your current transcripts and any in-progress courses for departmental advising.

Extension Students: Please refer to your program/site to confirm registration and schedule details: Extension Student/Site Resources.

7. Visit the Online Transfer Resource Center

The Transfer Resource Center is an online resource center for students looking to transfer, or who recently have transferred, to Western to continue their educational experience and career. This site is designed to help you better understand Western's admission and transfer process, academic requirements and expectations, student resources and programs, campus environment and community involvement.

You may also want to visit the Transfer Student Advising section of the Academic Advising Center’s website before registering for classes to review additional resources and information.

8. Explore Housing Options

On Campus Housing:
The residential program will enhance your Western experience in diverse, inclusive communities that foster active learning, social responsibility, civic engagement, effective citizenship and leadership, supported by a high quality, attractive and sustainable campus environment.  Live the Western experience!  For more information about Western’s On-Campus Housing, visit or stop by the Housing Office located on the first floor of Edens Hall.

Off Campus:
Students who live off campus instead of a residence hall are also introduced to plenty of new choices and, along with those choices, new responsibilities. For more information, visit Off Campus Living at



Page Updated 07.26.2016