Preparing for WWU

1. Review Your Countdown to Western Checklist

Keep track of your status in several important areas such as whether or not transcripts have been received, financial aid information and measles clearance for class registration with your Countdown to Western checklist on the Admissions website.

To login, you will need your Western ID number (commonly referred to as your “W” number), or User ID, and date of birth. Your "W" number can be found on your admission and confirmation letters. Revisit your Countdown to Western checklist any time to verify your current status. Note: The Countdown to Western checklist is not available for students in self-sustaining extension programs.

2.   REQUIRED: Submit Proof of Measles Immunity

Student Health Center
516 High Street, MS 9132
Bellingham, WA 98225
Phone:  360.650.3400
Fax: 360.650.3883

All new students are required to have two valid measles vaccinations or proof of measles (rubeola) immunity prior to registering for classes.  Options for providing proof and additional information are available from the Measles Requirement on the Student Health Center website.

The SHC’s regular hours for SUMMER 2017 are: Monday – Friday 8:30am - 12:00pm & 1:00pm - 4:00pm.

If you need to get an MMR shot or have your blood drawn for a rubeola titer test, please call 360.650.3400 to schedule an appointment. You may FAX your measles records 24/7 to 360.650.3883 or 360.650.4580. If you have any questions, contact the SHC at 360.650.3400 or

IMPORTANT! You will not be allowed to register for classes during Summerstart if your measles vaccinations/immunity documentation has not been received prior to your registration appointment.
Western strongly recommends that all students have some form of health insurance and offers a plan especially for students. Detailed information is available at the Insurance & Billing on the Student Health Center website.

3. Activate Your Universal Account

Academic Technology & User Services

As an enrolled student, you will receive a free Universal Account, which provides you with a number of technology resources to enhance your academic experience, including MyWestern e-mail, Microsoft Office 365, Canvas, computer lab access, and wireless Internet. Official University correspondence (including a preliminary Transfer Equivalency Report (TER) if you have earned college, Advanced Placement (AP), or International Baccalaureate (IB) credit) will be sent to your MyWestern e-mail address so you are encouraged to read your MyWestern e-mail messages regularly. For information on campus technology, including how to connect your laptop or mobile device, visit New to WWU?

In order to make a reservation for Summerstart and register for classes, you must have activated your Universal Account in advance.  If you need assistance or if you have forgotten your password, contact Academic Technology User Services Help Desk at 360.650.3333 .  Please keep track of your username and password, and bring these with you to campus.  You also will need to know your Social Security Number during the registration process. 

IMPORTANT!  Students with college credits must activate their Universal Account before they can access their Transfer Equivalency Report.  Please keep track of your username and password, and bring this information with you to Summerstart.

4.  Check your MyWestern Email Account

Recognizing the expanding reliance on electronic communication, WWU has determined that e-mail will be one of the University’s official means of communication. E-mail correspondence will be sent to students’ WWU e-mail addresses, so be on the lookout for future important announcements from WWU via your MyWestern e-mail account. See POL-U7100.02 – Using E-mail Accounts for Official Correspondence with Students.

5.  Submit Your Final High School Transcripts by July 15

Please send us your transcripts!  Required by July 15: Submit your final high school transcripts, with your graduation date posted, to the Office of Admissions by July 15.

6. Determine How college/AP Credit Will Apply to Your Western Degree

How does college credit transfer to Western?
Having Running Start or other college credits listed on your high school transcript will not allow Western to grant you college credit. An official transcript and/or score report must be sent from the college/testing agency directly to the Office of Admissions.

Required by July 15: Submit final college transcripts and score reports

Be sure to submit your official college transcripts and/or score report to the Office of Admissions by July 15 if you are entering Western with college credits from Running Start, College in the High School, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate and/or Cambridge International.

Why submit college transcripts?

  • Knowing what classes you’ve already received credit for will ensure you avoid registering for and repeating a class, or credits, you don’t need.
  • Registration appointments for future quarters are based on earned credits, so having those additional transfer credits on record at Western will have a favorable effect on your registration priority for winter quarter and beyond.

If you are awarded transfer credit, instructions for viewing your Transfer Equivalency Report (TER) will be sent to your email account in early August. Your TER will only include coursework on file at Western at the time of enrollment confirmation.

Because we are rarely able to process your spring term grades in time to be included in your initial Transfer Equivalency Report, we recommend you bring the following with you to Summerstart and whenever meeting with advisors:

  • Updated unofficial transcripts with any additional completed coursework
  • Proof of registration for any in-progress courses

Having this information will assist you with meeting prerequisites for courses and ensuring that you are not repeating coursework unnecessarily.

You are also encouraged to research how any in-progress credits will transfer. Please visit the Admissions website for transfer credit guidelines, a list of course equivalencies for in-state courses, and credits awarded for Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate tests.

**Special notes for freshmen entering Western with 60 or more transferable credits:
Students with 60 or more credits are strongly encouraged to attend Summerstart on August 1-2 to receive advanced course advising.**

7.  Placement Test Opportunities

Math Placement Assessment

Western is implementing a new Math Placement Assessment for 2017-18 called ALEKS – Math Placement Assessment (MPA), which is an online, adaptive assessment and learning system. To view the details of this process, visit the Summerstart Highlights page.

Spanish Placement Test

The Spanish Placement Test (SPT) is a 45-minute test with a $5 fee charged to the student account. For more information, please read Spanish Placement Test.

Management and Information Systems (MIS) 220 Equivalency Exam

The MIS 220 Exam is offered in the morning of Summerstart at 8:00am. Please refer to the schedule for information. For the MIS 220 exam, you will need photo ID; there is no fee for this exam.

8.  Prepare for Your Advising Session

Explore important academic advising and registration tools online. Professional advisors from the Academic Advising Center are available to help you explore your academic interests and goals at Western. You may also visit the Freshmen advising website at visit the Freshman Advising website for more information.

  • Online Advising Module:  New students receive 3 online advising modules: one prior to Summerstart, one before the start of the quarter, and one during fall quarter, to help support a successful transition to Western. Access and login will be sent to your Western student email (found in your myWestern portal). Look for your first module in late July.
  • Viking Advisor: The Viking Advisor describes Western’s academic requirements and provides information on how to register for classes using Western’s online registration system. A copy of the Viking Advisor will be provided during orientation.
  • WWU's Classfinder: Western's Classfinder displays courses offered by term. You will find information such as the days and times that classes meet, course descriptions, course restrictions, and prerequisites.
  • Prepare to Register for Classes: Before registering for classes, we encourage you to explore academic departments and the University Catalog's programs of study to learn more about the academic majors available at Western.
  • Need to generate a Transfer Equivalency Report? Visit the Admissions website to learn more about generating your TER and how the transfer credit process works.
  • Important Dates and Deadlines: Familiarize yourself with important quarterly dates and deadlines, including registration schedule, tuition payments, refunds and more.

Extension Students: Please refer to your program/site to confirm registration and schedule details: Extension Student/Site Resources.

9. Explore Housing Options

On Campus Housing: 
Did you know 92% of new freshmen live on campus? The residential program will enhance your Western experience in diverse, inclusive communities that foster active learning, social responsibility, civic engagement, effective citizenship and leadership, supported by a high quality, attractive and sustainable campus environment.  Live the Western experience!  For more information about Western’s On-Campus Housing, visit Student Housing or stop by the Housing Office located on the first floor of Edens Hall.

Off Campus:
Students who live off campus instead of a residence hall are also introduced to plenty of new choices and, along with those choices, new responsibilities. For more information, visit Off Campus Living.

Page Updated 11.22.2017